Forest School Training, Newcastle, UK
For those wanting to deliver their own forest school. We have three courses starting this year in Newcastle Upon Tyne:
Level 3 Certificate in Forest School Programme Leadership
Starting 2020: DATES CHANGED **** 1st, 2nd, 8th & 9th October, 2021: 18th & 19th March. 24th & 25th June, 1st & 2nd July
Cost £790 per person, includes one year's membership of Forest School Association. The training days run from 9.30am - 5.30pm. Learners need to attend all 10 days of training. For more information on the level 3 course scroll down the page
Forest School Level 1 Award: Introduction to Forest School Principles
November 2020: 6th, 13th & 20th November. 9.30am - 5.00pm.
Learners will need to attend all 3 days to complete the course. Cost £260. For more information on the level 1 course scroll down the page
Level 3 Certificate in Forest School Programme Leadership provided by Scotswood Garden
The level 3 course represents the industry standard for those that wish to lead their own forest school sessions. We have developed this course together with Kindling Play and Training.
Lily of Kindling and Harriet of Scotswood Garden have used their many years of experience in delivering Forest School and Forest School training programmes to develop a new format for the NOCN Level 3 (RQF) course that excites and inspires participants, whilst providing all the theory, skills and knowledge necessary to set up and lead a Forest School programme. The course guides learners through an enjoyable, supportive learning process with clear, easy to understand teaching materials. The course is taught inside and outside, through a mixture of games, practical activities, reflection and creative presentations.
Learners are assessed in their learning through the submission of 20 bite sized assessment tasks, completed throughout the course. Some tasks will be completed during the training and some will be written up in between the taught sessions. Participants on the course will need to plan and deliver 6 Forest School sessions with the same group of children.
This Forest School Level 3 course is aimed at individuals who have a minimum Level 2 qualification in Youth Work, Child Care, Teaching, or relevant experience in working with children.
“An absolutely amazing journey that has opened my eyes, mind and soul to the benefits of Forest School”
“The trainers had a fantastic ability to put people at ease and support them on this incredible journey”
“The approach was very in keeping with the course and the content”
“Lily and Harriet were both inspiring!”
“Taught in a clear, supportive manner. Harriet and Lily always offering to aid and support each individual”
“Have absolutely 100% loved every second. So excited to get going with Forest School!
The course will support you to understand everything you need to know to design and run a Forest School programme safely and effectively including:
- Understanding how children learn and develop
- Learning about woodland plants and animals and how to care for woodlands
- Practical skills including fire lighting, cooking, using tools, tying knots and building shelters, and how to safely teach these to a group
- How to maintain safety and wellbeing, and understand the relationship between risk and developmental benefit
- How to effectively communicate the ethos and benefits of Forest School
- 10 taught days (5 x 2 day blocks) of teaching spread over 9 months
- Written work: learners complete and submit 20 written tasks throughout the course. The last of these tasks are submitted 3 months after the last day of training.
- Support and advice available by telephone or email throughout the course.
- Before the last day of training, learners need to complete a separate 2 day ITC first aid course (not included in price).
- During the last 4 days of training, learners will demonstrate their practical skills and work together to deliver a session that demonstrates the ethos of forest school.
Forest School Level 1 Award: Introduction to Forest School PrinciplesThe level 1 is suitable for people at the start of their forest school journey, giving an overview of the principles, introducing many of the skills, and providing a range of ideas for activities and games that learners can introduce in their own settings. It covers the forests school ethos and the theory that underpins it, practical skills such as fire lighting, using tools and putting up shelters, flora and fauna identification, risk assessment and management and managing the environmental impact. It is also suitable for teachers, teaching assistants and group leaders who want to understand the ethos of forest schools and incorporate it into their sessions, get new ideas and inspiration for activities, or decide whether Forest School is for them before embarking on level 2 or 3. A recent course participant said "this is the best course I have been on in 21 years of teaching".All trainees on both of our courses will be given a 5% discount on forest school equipment purchases from Muddy Faces https://muddyfaces.co.uk/